Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Boat in a bottle

I have spent an hour trying to get the perfect picture of this, but believe it or not because of the shape of the bottle, light reflections off the glass and the size of the whole thing, it has turned out to be a not so easy task! My battery on my camera finally died so I am having to post one of my less than perfect attempts. I think I might have to revisit this subject matter at a later date and see if I can match my idea to the reality. Short story of the boat in the bottle - made by my grandmother when she was in her 20's and confined to a TB sanitarium in Upstate NY. Told she would die there, she lived to be 80. This is the only thing I wanted from her estate. There are precious few left...this is the smallest one with the boat being a mere 1 1/2" tall..... she scrounged toothpicks, nails, thread, paper, and scraps of wood to create these wonderful works of art and help her pass the time... truly a treasure!

No comments:

Post a Comment